Smoothies are not the same as shakes or juices. In addition, each can be ingested for a wide variety of reasons. Have a refreshing and hydrating drink like a juice or make a liquid breakfast with all the nutrients in the case of a smoothie or a shake. Or take them for the simple purpose of enjoying their delicious taste. But really, how can we differentiate between them?
MAIN DIFFERENCES BETWEEN JUICES, SHAKES AND SMOOTHIES
Juices: consists of extracting the liquid from fruits and vegetables, either naturally or mechanically. The consistency is almost liquid because it has the pulp of the fruit. No other liquid product is added, although they can be mixed with other fruits and/or vegetables.
Shakes: the basis of these is fruit and also vegetables and the pulp of the ingredients is included. Other liquids, yogurt, and even solid ingredients are usually added. These are drinks with a thicker texture.
Smoothies: the main difference with respect to the shake is that it must include a frozen element or, directly, ice. It is made in the same way as the shake and the ingredients must be mixed very well until a dense and homogeneous drink is obtained, thicker than the shake and very creamy.
8 REASONS TO DRINK SMOOTHIES
- It is a different way to eat leafy green vegetables raw, to get all their nutrients, without knowing the taste. The fruits and the different ingredients and spices make the taste, perhaps bitter of the vegetable, not so noticeable.
- They are nutritious because you can make a drink that is loaded with protein, healthy fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants, water and chlorophyll.
- They are quick to prepare. In five minutes you can have your smoothie. All you have to do is put all the ingredients in the blender or food processor and blend. The smoothie is the perfect ally to make something quick and nutritious.
- If you are one of those people who say they don’t have time for breakfast, the smoothie is your great ally because you can load it with nutritious ingredients, prepare it quickly and take it with you on your way to work or later.
- Fruits and vegetables are the main ingredients in smoothies and, being a good source of fiber, promote intestinal health, thus generating regular bowel movements that will help you go to the bathroom more easily.
- The ingredients, fruits and vegetables, are crushed to become smoothies and are therefore easier to digest and absorb the nutrients due to their liquid format, especially in the case of vegetables.
- There are infinite combinations to prepare smoothies. You can add and remove ingredients to taste, take advantage of all the foods offered by the different seasons, and even freeze them to obtain different textures.
- Smoothie ingredients are loaded with fats, carbohydrates, proteins, minerals and vitamins, so a smoothie is complete and energetic and provides you with top-quality nutrients.
HOW TO MAKE A GREEN SMOOTHIE
Choose a liquid
Normally about 250ml, but everything will depend on the water provided by the different fruits you add. It may be water, vegetable milk, cow milk, coconut water, etc.
Choose a green leafy vegetable
It is advisable to add two good handfuls of vegetables, already washed and cut. Kale, spinach, lamb’s lettuce, celery, beet leaves, aromatic herbs, lettuce, dandelion greens, etc.
Choose some fruits
Two to three pieces are recommended. Some ideas are banana, pineapple, pear, mango, fruits of the forest, peach, apple, orange, etc.
Choose a fat, protein and omegas
If you want to add extra nutrition and make it very nutritious. Avocado, chia seeds, protein powder, hemp seeds, etc.
If you freeze the fruits and grind them directly frozen, they will provide extra creaminess. We recommend freezing the fruits directly already cut.
Adds an extra flavor
Dates to sweeten, ginger to provide an acidic and special touch, cinnamon, vanilla, cocoa powder, turmeric, etc. Adapt it to your taste and experiment!
BASIC GREEN SMOOTHIE
- 400 ml Cow’s milk or rice and coconut milk
- 3 ripe pears
- 1 Frozen banana
- 1 or 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- 1 scoop protein powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
To prepare this basic smoothie, put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until a creamy texture is obtained. You can add more liquid or a few ice cubes if you wish.